NLD, NVLD

Opis forum

• Nie jesteś zalogowany.
  • Polecamy: Gry

#1 2014-09-02 12:31:57

noclaut

Gość

NLD, SCD = mild PDD

NVLD and SCD means milder (at least usually) types of pervasive developmental disorders and other than “classical” types of “autism”. The terms NVLD or SCD have to be abolish for people who have developmental disorders with symptoms similar to more typical “species” of autism, but not so marked or not so severe. I would consider most people with NVLD and probably all with SCD as “autistic”. Children, who are “weird” have to be classified as ASD and PDD. The best symptom of it is problematic (or profound) developmental dyssemia (which has also PDD abbreviation) which means significant impairment in nonvrbal communication (such as lack of eye contact or inadequate facial expression).

#2 2014-09-02 12:46:42

noclaut

Gość

Re: NLD, SCD = mild PDD

NVLD and SCD are wrong terms. They tend to be use to describe people who are "softly autistic", not classically, "hardly" autistic. I think that labels such as "learning disorder" and "communication disorder" are apparent understatement. "Soft" autism has to be not so rigid as "hard". I am from Poland and have AS diagnosis (which is PDD and ASD). But I am definaately not like people with severe forms of AS, which are rather just atypical forms of classic autism with earlier speech development. "Hard" autism has not to be low-functioning. It may co-occur with above-average intelligence. The difference is mainly in cognitive and sensoric areas. Temple Grandin obviously has "hard" autism, her success does not change it. "Problematic developmental dyssemia" (PDD - the abbreviation is the same as for pervasive developmental disorder), which is marked developmental disorder in nonverbal communication, is the main symptom of both types of autism.

#3 2014-09-08 10:15:44

pdder

Gość

NVLD is not a learning disability in the traditional sense, but rather a life learning disability. It should be considered in terms of a pervasive developmental disability (assumes a severe, chronic disability that is present before the individual reaches the age of 21), rather than a learning disability. It causes substantial functional limitation in areas such as self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, self-direction and mobility, as well as the capacity for independent living and economic self-sufficiency.
Pamela B. Tanguay, Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at School, 2002

NVLD is a really serious problem. The name is misleading. It is not only a learning disorder. Learning disorder is only one of the consequences.

Mild pervasive developmental disorder, "soft" autism  may be named as a social learning disability or social communication disorder, but these terms appear to be even larger understatements than the term "nonverbal learning disability" for a pervasive developmental disability. These weirdnesses are not only social disorders.

What about your visual-spatial and motoric abilities? I think that they are "real" (literal) NVLD. "Hard" autism tends to "think in pictures". "NVLD" is more or less good in verbal thinking but not so good in visual.

Asperger's population is a blend of some types of higher functioning classic, "hard" (but atypical due to earlier and better language development) autists and non-kanneric "soft" autists. Many of "soft" autists appear to have NVLD to quite different degree.

Hard autism affects really severely theory of mind, ability to cope with changes, verbal abilities. It also gives more extreme social and behavioral problems. Usually sensory integration is profoundly disturbed. It should be really easily noticed.

Soft autism has problematic developmental dyssemia and marked weirdness in emotions and behavior in its core. Often contains NVLD (visual-spatial-motor disorder), to a different degree. Sensory problems are not profound, but also can be problematic.

#4 2014-09-09 09:01:50

noclaut

Gość

SCD (at least if someone is markedly "weird") is a type of "soft" autism. We have to use "harsh" terms such as (milder) pervasive developmental disorder or "soft autism" instead of understatements such as nonverbal lerning disorder, social communication disorder, social learning disability etc. I think that "bizarrity" is very often a core symptom of "soft autism", not restricted, repetitive or rigid pattern of behaviors, which characterizes hard, classical autism.

The names such as NVLD, SCD, SLD have (often) serious flaw - they may mislead and be understatements. They does not characterise "pervasivity" of the problems which the person and the family have. NVLD is a pervasive developmental disability, not just a "leasrning disorder". There is no NVLD in DSM-V. I do not think that it is wrong, the term NVLD is used really misleadingly. People with Asperger's diagnosis may be categorized into two main groups: classically autistic with really severe symptoms (such as profund lacks in theory of mind, very rigid thinking and serious sensory issues) and "softly" autistic with deep dyssemic symptoms (such as very poor eye contact or "stupid" facial expression) and bizarrities in emotional area, behaviors and interests, this group appear to be often classified as "just" NVLD without PDD, but it is a pervasive developmental problem. These children not so rarely are intelligent and have really good verbal skills.

#5 2014-09-10 13:20:56

noclaut

Gość

Problematic developmental dyssemia appear to be a marked symptom of socio-emotional disability such as " developmental autistic pscyhopathy" (Asperger's syndrome). Blatantly dyssemic symptoms (such as very poor eye contact) are signs of really serious mental problem. It is a function of pervasive developmental disability (PDD, such as "full-blown" NVLD syndrome which affects not only visual, spatial and motoric areas, but also social, emotional, behavioral - de facto a type of AS for me) and has to be cured really early, it should be detected at pre-school age!

#6 2014-09-11 10:37:16

noclaut

Gość

I think that it is very wrong to say: "It is safe to say that all forms of NVLD or all people with NVLD, but without "classical" autistic symptoms, have not AS and PDD". NVLD is rather a cognitive profile. It is NOT a learning disability, it is something MORE SERIOUS and naming it as just "learning disability" or "learning disorder" is even somewhat "offensive". Many forms of NVLD are pervasive developmental disabilities, when it has marked emotional, behavioral, social, communicational (especially in nonverbal area) consequences and has to be classified as a PDD (for example as a type of sperger's syndrome), not as LD. Classification as LD diminises negative consequences of the disorder. It has to be detencted or cured in really early childhood, before going to school.

#7 2014-09-13 13:24:00

noclaut

Gość

Most people with NVLD appear to have PDD/AS/ASD for me, but not of "traditional" sort. Pure NVLD has no imapct on social or emotional area (especially in pre-pubertal age), it is just a disability in academic areas ("gives" visual or spatial problems). "Hard", classical autism is in many aspects opposite to so-called (social) NVLD. Hard autism has troubles with language, "NVLD" has strenght in it; NVLD has a weakness in visual tinking, classic autism can give you really strong visual thinking. "Global" NVLD is a pervasive developmental disorder (maybe not in classical terms), "academic" NVLD is more specific, not generalized disability. "Global" NVLD affects emotional, social, behavioral or even sensory areas rather than academic (at least in some cases, which are "high-cognitive autism"). "Global NVLD" has its cognitive profile (found at about 50 - 80% people with AS diagnosis), but it is not only a learning problem or style - it has also marked social communication issues and "bizarrities", which makes this "hypocritical" condition a complex developmental disorder.

#8 2014-09-14 08:34:52

noclaut

Gość

For me really many cases of NVLD are forms of something more than a learning disorder - it is often not a specific disability, but a pervasive developmental disorder, which means really serious problem. Current definition of PDD is wrong (too much is about restrictiveness, rigidity and repetitiveness). Some forms NVLD are models of milder, "soft" PDD. People with PDD are "odd" and "weird", unlike those who have just learning problems. PDD is socio-emotional counterpart of intellectual disability and NVLD tends to be in that category, PDD may range from really mild to extreme (which is profound disability), even more severe forms of PDDs does not exclude above-average intelligence.

#9 2014-09-15 10:07:08

noclaut

Gość

"Global" NVLD may not be an academic disability at all. It is a type of "soft autism", not a specific disorder of scholastic skills.

Maybe even all types of NVLD (also those without social and emotional disorders!) should be categorized in the same category as (especially high-functioning) classic autism. Severe (also non-social) NVLD looks not like a specific develpomental disorder.

NVLD which can be diagnosed as Asperger's or PDD-NOS is a "pervasive developmental disorder" in all cases, main problems of it are not scholastic skills. It makes people "stupid", weird or even aloof. Specific developmental disorders (learning disabilities) are not destructive in "socio-emotional area", "pervasive developmental disorder" of any degree of severity (from very mild to relly profound) tend to have "socio-emotional" problems as its hallmark.

Many people with PDDs (especially in USA and Canada) looks to be misdiagnosed as "pure" NVLD.

NVLD-typed PDD (without traits of classical autism) has such symptoms:

- very poor nonverbal communication (especially expressive)
* very poor eye contact,
* "stupid" or stiff gaze,
* limited and (or) idiosyncratic facial expression and gestures,
* troubles with interpersonal distances),
- paralinguistic and pragmatic issues (are also not uncommon)

- the pattern of interests is odd, they rather not are so profoundly restricted as in classic autism,
- interests are often  atypical, may be "obsessive", repetitive;
- limited and idiosyncratic interests can be found also in social area
- they may have uncontrollable and "loud" laughter at inappropiate situations, but things, which are funny to "neurotypical" person, for then may not always be funny
- they may lack shame in many normal situations and feel indiosyncratic shame
- there may be odd customs, routines, rituals, but there is also lack of marked and somewhat disabling  "classically autistic" fixation about sameness
- Unusual thinking is not uncommon (such as:
* strange, specific, abnormal fears,
* grandiose fantasies,
* "magical" obsessive-compulsive symptoms,
* bizarre ideas)
- the person may look superficially mature and "adult", but is rather very immature and socio-emotionally disabled due to own PDD

Many methods used to educate children with classical ASDs are unuseful for then, because they have other needs and other way of thinking than "typical" autistics.

Many people with these symptoms may be diagnosed with Asperger's, which is not wrong; Aspreger's criteria in ICD-10 or DSM-IV may be quite easily meet by some people without more profound traits of  "kanneric" autism.

Some people with NVLD profile and without "kanneric" traits may be less weird, but also may have social problems, for me they also ave a "PDD", not just a learning disorder.

The definition of "pervasive developmental disorder" in ICD-10  is not ideal. It should be not about "restrictiveness and repetitiveness", but about severe social impairment and "bizarrity" (which maybe may do not bring any "restrictiveness" and "repetitiveness" in some cases). The best sign of a PDD is seroius impairment of expressive nonverbal communication for me ("profound" developmental, chronic dyssemia). It may make people looking "retard" by itself.

#10 2014-09-15 12:03:17

noclaut

Gość

There is no term "pervasive developmental disorder" in DSM-V.

The definition of PDD in ICD-10 is too much about "restrictiveness" and "repetitiveness". I think that many cases of NVLD have to be categrorized in the same group of disabilities as "kanneric" autism, not as a "specific developmental disorder", "specific learning disability".

Some forms of NVLD may be rather developmental socio-emotional disabilities, such as classical autism, which is more severe type od "complex" developmental disorder.

NVLD is a complex (not specific!) developmental disorder. It can bring all of them: social, emotional, behavioral issues, idiosyncratic thinking, sensory integration issues. NVLD is misnamed and misclasified. NVLD, such as "kanneric" autism, is a complex developmental disorder.

Some complex developmental disorders:

- classic autism (spectrum) - rather severe to profound
- "nonverbal learning disorder" (spectrum?, current term too misleading, not all cases of NVLD give socio-emotional disability) - rather mild to moderate
- multiple-complex developmental disorder - may be severe
- pathological demand avoidance syndrome - not very severe
- Rett's syndrome - rather profound
- childhood disintegrative disorder - rather profound

#11 2014-09-17 10:59:11

noclaut

Gość

NVLD just HAS to be lumped into "pervasive developmental disorder" cathegory. It would be just. NVLD is a pervasive developmental disability, "life learning disability", not a specific learning disability. When it gives characteristic socio-emotional problems it may be correctly nicknamed as "soft autism". It is not a "specific learning disability". The diagnosis of Asperger's is not wrong in the case of NVLD. AS consists of subtypes, one of them is classically autistic and tend to be severe, other one is NVLDish, which tend to be milder than previous, but still very destructive, there may be also other subtypes of disorders classified currently as AS. Classic autists think in pictures, have many conceptul social problems and not so small sensory dysfunction. "NVLD" is more "hypocritical" than classical autism, it may look rather as just giftedness (especially in VERBAL area) in some cases, not like a developmental delay. Many NVLD people without "hard" autstic traits may be not improperly labelled "autistic", but it is NOT typical developmental autism. I have AS diagnosis, but "social NVLD" describes me quite well, unlike "standard" model of Asperger's, which is very like high-functioning childhood autism. Social NVLD is bookish type of "soft autism". First diagnostic criteria of PDD in ICD-10 or DSM-IV is about nonverbal communication impairment. It appears to be a hallmark of almost all PDDs, from very mild to profound. Mentality of people with NVLD may look like "hybrid" of autistics and neurotypicals (IQ can also vary, but verbal abilities can be really good). They are really odd, blatantly not "psychotypical", but obviously not classically autistic. Learning disability is (or even may be) only one of the consequences of having ths sort of "autism". Classifyng many cases of NVLD as just "learning disorder" is unjust for me, because it definately does not describe problems of people who have it. PDD name describes rather general impact of the disorder to entire life (social, emotional, occupational), may not mean serious developmental problems such as speech and language difficulties, marked sensory dysfunction or blatant restrictiveness. Current definition of PDD in ICD-10 looks wrong for me, there is too much about "restrictiveness and repetitiveness". I feel more closer to NVLDers (especially those with "socio-emotional dysfunction") than to people with HFA or "classic" AS. They may be for me nearly as far as "psychotypical" people. But maybe some people with high-functioning classical ASD have higher level of general functioning than some with "just-NVLD" diagnosis.

#12 2014-09-18 13:29:29

noclaut

Gość

I am somewhat probably more like neurotypical "nerd" than like an "aspie". I do not have necessity of the sameness, I think that I am good in social understanding. But I have Asperger's diagnosis. My nonverbal communication is rather severely impaired (very poor eye contact, "strange" gaze, mimics), somewhat limited, idiosyncratic interests (also in social area). I may be a "hybrid" of NVLD, giftedness and autisticity, not "pure-blood" aspie.

Pure NVLD is probably rare (or maybe even unpresent?) and it is visual-spatial(-motor) impairment without social, emotional, behavioral, sensory anomalies.

Pure giftedness does not make you a "weirdo" or "oddbird", it is homogenous development (without dyssemia or problems with shoelaces).

Pure autisticity makes you disabled, you have severe deficits in theory of mind, very rigid brain and marked sensory dysfunction then.

#13 2014-09-19 10:20:05

noclaut

Gość

It is definately something more than a specific learning disorder. The name "learning disorder" is barely unjust in many cases. It severely underestimates the troubles which are caused by the disorder. NVLD with socio-emotonal impairment should have new, "serious" name. Social communication disorder is also not so good name. SCD is probably often just a (really important) symptom of "autisticity". Communication disorders should not make you "weird" and "odd", but pervsive developmental disorders make you that by definition. Very long bullying due to just a learning of communication disorder is especially illogical. Bullying is always evil, but why someone thinks about a person with just a "lerning or communication disorder" as a person, who is "debilitated", "stupid"? How many people have dyslexia or some speech problems and are really normal, unlike "NLDers"? Many. Changing the name of "NVLD" is for me really important think. I am from Central Europe and maybe I have the biggest interest in NVLD in my country (it may looks like Aspergian obsession ). I was diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome, but I do not feel as one of "aspies". NVLD is not so much known in my country. People with NVLD will probably be diagnosed with AS or other (milder) PDD here, which is... correct, unlike saying that it is "just learning and communication problem" which is common in Northern America. "NVLD" is functionally and generally (also in the terms of social reception) too close to mild forms of "classical" autism to be not included in PDD category. Many forms of "NVLD" are just types of "soft autism" for me and may be at least nicknamed so. Those with "non-classical" autism shout have significantly less rigid mind (wider interests, but still abnormal themes or strenght are not uncommon; sameness may tends to be rather boring for them, also better central coerence and theory of mind, less apparent sensory problems), which make it "soft" and "elastic" type of "autism", opposite to "hard" and "rigid", which is also more severe by definition.

#14 2014-09-22 09:41:24

noclaut

Gość

I think that all people with "bright" autism HAVE to be put into one category, no matter what their learning style is. I think that system which blatantly separates people with strikingly similar "developmental phenotype" is flawed and there HAS to be a term and a category, a spectrum for all of them.

It my be named for example "aucorigia spectrum" (first word - is from the term "autocontrast" and "originality", which also sounds "like autism" due to its beginning, it describes bright, but mentally inept people classified quite typically AS and NVLD, i think that the word is really fitting).

People on the aucorigia spectrum are one big family, they are just grouped together, not "violently" separated by the labels and criteria of ASD, Asperger's, PDD, NVLD, SCD and other conditions.

I know in my contry some people who looks strikingly aucorigal for me, and they may have moderate or even severe level of "general" disability.

I think that there are four main clusters of "aucorigians":

*Ia - less severe generally, contains people with really very mild classically autistic traits and "non-pervasive" types of NVLD;
*Ib - brightest classically autistic people, they have real disability due to it, but are still not so "bad" and may be smart and talented;
*IIa - it looks for me as the clade for most NVLDers, who have marked school learning problems, but also social problems from early childhood,
*IIb - most "nerdy" (low level of academic and cognitive difficulties, it allows the aucorigia to mask well which is seriously dangerous - you may be named as just "gifted" but emotionally disturbed due to it, not as having "pervasive developmental problem") cluster, people are autistic-like, weird and nerd in it.

#15 2014-10-03 16:18:31

noclaut

Gość

I name the group of disorders, to which belong for example HFA and "NVLD", "soft" or "bright" autism (especially for not classically autistic disorders, such as "NVLD"), "aucorigic spectrum" (significantly wider and more heterogenous than autistic spectrum from DSM-V), "disorders of "that" type", "realtively mild "pervasive" developmental disorders", ""nerd" syndromes"... They look to give not only social ineptitude, but even "life" ineptitude. They often have strange obsessiveness in them as one of the symptoms. They have more or less "general" intelligence. They rather give serious problems since early childhood, someone with disorder of "that" type is often wieved as "odd", "stupid", "dorks", "weird", "naughty", "hyperactive" and so on. Classic autism is not the only form of "relatively mild PDD"! Dyssemia looks as a really good symptom of them. Severe dyssemia is the "first" criterium of autism or AS in ICD-10. Eye contact tend to often be really poor, especially in children. People with "soft autism" may be not so interested in "neurotypical" human relations, they may be very boring or obsessed about someone or "strange" traits of people, such as specific abnormalities in appearance of the body. They may laugh at very, very inappriopiate situations and do not feel shame when it is normal and beneficial, they may also have "idiosyncratic" shame or disgust (for example to some types of vehicles). They may tend to have some (more or less) hyperactivity, hypokinetic or (and) hyperkinetic behaviors, stimming, sensory problems, OCD symptoms, "strange" thinking and atypical fears, literal interpretations, learning abnormalities, clumsiness. They are ideal victims of school mobbing and bullying.

Stopka forum

RSS