Opis forum

• Nie jesteś zalogowany.
  • Polecamy: Moda

#1 2016-05-03 14:17:52

noclaut2

Użytkownik

Punktów :   

"Sussman's syndrome" - a non-kanneric sort of autism

Link to a film with which I strongly disagree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJpqrNTASU (Social Learning Disability, Discussion with Steven Sussman, Ph.D - Child and Adolescent Psychologist Co-Founder of the Child and Teen Success Centers in NY and NJ.). I think that traits mentioned in it aren't symptoms of a learning disability! "Social learning disability" has to be a COGNITIVE DEFICIT, such as inability to mentalize, to imagine mental states of others. Fixation on certain topics, being quite different than others, lowered social needs, rituals associated with magical thinking (such as turning lights on and off) for me are not signs of (a) social learning disability! Problems with eye contact may be present also in for example schizophrenia.

Condition descibed in the film looks like having "different nature" looks like having different nature than most of individuals, not like any learning disability, also "social learning disability". Disinterest in adjusting to society and (or) gaining social skills is not a learning disability, but something which could be described as "other sort of functioning", "having different needs than typical person", "a sort of "asociality" which begins in childhood" (not a personality disorder or conduct disorder, not psychopathy or sociopathy), "other attitude to reality".

Symptoms mentioned in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJpqrNTASU for me describe a sort of "genuine" autism or aspieness, not social learning disability. These symptoms appear to be associated with behavioral and emotional features, with someone's "character", "lifestyle" rather than with cognitive deficits. So I think that being "indifferent" to eye contact, to close mutual relationships, having fixative interests on certain topics are NOT a signs of any learning disability! Also social learning disability! Individuals having such traits may look "egoistic", "egocentric", "heartless", "emotionally cold", "lazy", "careless" - they nature appears to be "asocial" in some way (they does not bother with adjusting to society or at least may seem so).

I suppose that condition described in the film is not characterised by (at least more) marked deficits in theory of mind (so it is not characterised by more significant cognitive deficits associated with mindreading, which means that for me it is not a social [b]learning disability), literal thinking, idiosyncratic sensory processing, prosopagnosia, language delay, need of sameness and predicatbility[/b] which are characteristic for Kanner's syndrome and its spectrum. The condition about which the film from drmdk's channel is is not "social learning disability" or a condition from Kanner's syndrome spectrum. If we assume that Kanner's syndrome = autism, then the condition from the film is not autism.

I suppose that something described in the drmdk's channel tends to be characterised by problems with basic social skills, like eye contact, adequate facial expression, topic maintenance, which can easily make them "oddballs" who are really prome to bullying. But I think that problems with understanding the conception of lie, intentions, pretended play can be often absent in this sort of autism/aspieness, while in "Kanneric family of autisms" these problems are typical and are important issues. I think that in "Sussman's syndrome" (let's name it so because of Steven Sussman, Ph.D, with whom the discussion in the film is) obsessive, fixated, narrow, non-typical interests are common trait, but I do not suppose that it is associated with splinter skills. I think that (at least in severe cases of "Sussman's syndrome") individuals affected by it have lowered social needs, may do not attach emotionally to other persons (also to the parents) and can be more attached to (even trivial) items, objects (such as stim toys like pieces of dough or gum) than to people. I think that development of language has not to be delayed in "Sussman's syndrome" (but can be), even in serious cases of it. I suppose that little children with this condition may have for example problems with responding to calling them by name from the parents. I can think that this condition has its own spectrum. For me this condition is obviously different from "typical" autism spectrum disorder and I would say that it does not belong to the spectrum of the syndrome described by Leo Kanner. I think that individuals with "Sussman's syndrome" are properly diagnosed as Aspies or ASDers (although I do not think that their condition is related to childhood autism), this condition has to be put in one category of developmental disoders with typical autism, but not with specific developmental disorders like dyslexia or dyscalculia. For me, "Sussman's syndrome" looks to be a disorder affecting mainly emotional, social and bahavioral areas, not cognitive ones. I think that it can be source of severe social or occupational problems. It should not be trivialised by naming it as a "learning disability", also as "social learning diasbility".

Ostatnio edytowany przez noclaut2 (2016-05-03 14:22:10)

#2 2016-05-06 14:12:00

noclaut2 2

Gość

Re: "Sussman's syndrome" - a non-kanneric sort of autism

I think that "social dyslexia" is NOT good term, because it may "triivialise" problems of "non-kanneric" Aspies. Non-kanneric aspieness is something MORE than "social learning disability", "social dyslexia". It should not be associated with "specific learning difficulties". A person with "mild" and (or) atypical "Sussman's syndrome" or "social NVLD" is still an Aspie for me and that person should be in one subcategory of developmental disorders with Temple Grandin, not with individuals with dyslexia. For me Kanner symptoms should not occur in all sorts of autism. Non-kanneric aspieness can be something more than just a mild disability.

Many people with Asperger's are "kannerotypal" and their conditions are really similar to high-functioning Kanner's syndrome. Their cases look significantly similar to the famous case of Temple Grandin. I am not like her, my issues are significantly different than her. I think that my condition does not belong to one spectrum with her condition. I think that "kannerotypal" Aspies should rather be diagnosed as having "atypical autism" (F84.1), not "Asperger's syndrome" (F84.5) from ICD-10.

I think that there should be types of AS/autism/PDD without Kanner symptoms AT ALL. Symptoms which can be seen in both non-kanneric and kanneric PDDs, like problems with nonverbal communication, intense (even obsessive, "manic") interest in certain topics, being quite different than others since childhood, problems with mutual relationships, stronger attachment to things than to persons, hyperactivity/autostimulating behaviors, strange rituals or routines (which may be in fact also a sort of OCD symptoms), should be something which differs "aspienesses", "autisms" or "PDDs" from other developmental disorders, like speech and (or) language disorders, learning disabilities.

#3 2016-05-06 14:12:25

noclaut2 2

Gość

I don't think that "social learning disability" from the film should be named as a learning disability. Having fixative interests are very Aspergian trait. I would name individuals with conditions named as "social learning disability", "social communication disorder", "social nonverbal learning disorder" as Aspies also. I do not fit to HFA picture, but I have AS diagnosis (a pervasive developmental disorder according to ICD-10, not a disorder of speech or language or a learning disability). In ICD-10 and DSM-V obsessive, narrow interests enough to diagnose PDD. Routines or rituals, stereotyped behaviors, sensory issues are NOT necessary to be classified as an Aspie and I think that it is good. I would classify people with these conditions in one group with"classical" autistic children, but not in one group with individuals with reading, spelling or speech problems.

"Standard" Asperger's is for me something like "Kannerism lite" or a sort of "atypical Kannerism". "Sussman's syndrome" or "social NVLD" are also sort of aspieness/PDD or even autism for me ("autism" does not mean for me only Kanner's syndrome or something related to it). "Sussman's syndrome" would be rather a class by itself for me, I could said that individuals with it don't have even a little touch of {classic, Kanneric} autism, but their condition belongs to different group of aspieness.

I might think about finding new name for "kannerism", which would not contains words like "autism" and "autistic" at all. I think that autism is not about inability to mentalize, idiosyncratic sensory processing, problems with language, prosopagnosia or human blindness, need of sameness and predictability, having meltdowns, rocking back and forth or tiptoe walking, weak central coherence, but about rather about "character" or "adjustment to reality". "Sussman syndrome" is or at least can be a sort of autism also, in my opinion. Diminished need of mutual relationships, fixative interests on certain topics, atypical social communication, being "odd" since childhood, having strange behaviors (such as turning lights on and off or autostimulating behaviors) appear to be "general" Aspie traits, unlike "kanneric" traits mentioned above, which occur only in part of cases of aspieness.

Aspieness without "kanneric" traits can be lower functioning and more "bizarre" than aspieness with "kanneric" traits (although "kanneric" traits rather make life more difficult and can be really problematic). I think that DSM-IV was better than DSM-V, because it allowed more Aspies to be diagnosed.

#4 2016-05-06 14:33:21

noclaut2 2

Gość

Idiosyncratic sensory processing is not autism.
Prosopagnosia is not autism.
Language delay is not autism.
Rocking back and forth is not autism.

One-sided interactions and fixated interest in certain topics appear for me to be most "characteristic" autistic traits. They appear to usually occur in both in non-kanneric and kanneric autisms.

Lack of mentalization is not necessary for having autism.
Need of sameness and predictability is not necessary for having autism.

"Social dyslexia" doesn't have to be co-occurring with one-sided interactions.

Stopka forum

RSS