#1 2018-02-08 19:57:20

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

"Aucorigia", "aucory" - my look at ASD and "similars"

I think that there should be one word for ASD and similar conditions, like so-called nonverbal learning disability (NLD, NVLD) and social communication disorder (SCD) from DSM-V.

I coined the terms "aucorigia" and "aucory" and use them to describe heterogenous group of developmental conditions characterised by social inadequacy and peculiarity (from "autocontrast" (contrast between intellectual abilities (which are quite often above-average) and level of functioning, level of social skills) and "originality" (being special, have "peculiarities" and "bizarrities" like fixative interests or rituals). Classic aucorigia is where an individual has above-average intellectual functioning (such as measured by Weschler IQ tests) but is socially inept and "peculiar". "Aucory" is broader term than "autistic spectrum" and some cases of aucory may be cases of, for example, personality disorders starting in childhood. ASD with general and "all-profile" intellectual disability is not a typical case of aucory, but rather "negatively" atypical aucorigic (or just aucoroidal) condition, whereas ASD with high IQ is classic aucorigia. "Positively" aucoroidal condition could be for example having some autistic traits (like tendency to fixative interest, prosopagnosia, sensory processing disorder (idiosyncratic sensory processing), having stims or rigid routines) but without social ineptitude present in ASDs or NVLD without socio-emotional deficits, but with visual-spatial deficits, dyspraxia, some sensory issues etc.

I think that DSM-V criteria may do not ecompass all cases of autism. What if one had only one trait from repetitive behaviors (like obsessive interests or sensory issues), but does not have any of three others? How common in general population is ASD (according to DSM-V criteria)?

I think that NVLD should have own position in DSM and ICD, but not in one category with learning disabilities. The name may be changed to avoid connotations with dyslexia or dyscalculia. It should form a cluster with ASD. Executive functioning problems, sensory issues, magical/bizarre beliefs, stereotyped behaviors, rigid routines were listed on some pages as NVLD signs or something like it. NVLD syndrome is a serious and complex developmental disability, like ASD. Severe NVLD with social issues is rather more disabling than mild ASD (and especially subclinical ASD, ASD level 0). If NVLD does not cause social ineptitude or peculiarity (also in adolescence and adulthood), then it does not look aucorigic, but only aucoroidal, because it has some symptoms similar to aucorigia (such as uneven IQ profile, clumsiness), but lacks defining traits of aucory which are social inadequacy and peculiarity. Social subtypes of NVLD clearly fall to the category of aucory.

#2 2018-02-08 19:57:42

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

Re: "Aucorigia", "aucory" - my look at ASD and "similars"

I suppose that some autistic people may not fulfil DSM-V criteria. "Aucorigia" covers more people than ASD. NVLD can be described as some sort of pervasive developmental disorder (maybe not always a PDD according to ICD-10 or DSM-IV criteria). I would consider NVLD a pervasive developmental disorder, not a specific developmental disorder or a combination of it. I want to see "nonverbal learning disability" in one subcategory of developmental disorders with ASD. NVLD appears to be really destructive disorder. I consider NVLD and ASD aucoric conditions, but dyslexia and ADHD are generally nonaucorigic developmental disorders. I even would consider NVLD with social ineptitude more typical form of aucory than ASD.

People with ASD quite often have strong visualisational abilities, while in NVLD these abilities tend to be rather poor. Schizoid disorder starting in childhood appears to be a sort of aucory too. Same with childhood-onset schizophrenia (which can be associated with deficit in social skills). I would even say that neurotypical people can also have aucorigia. I admit that I may have problems with definition of aucorigia. It should be quite inclusive category of disorders. I also postulate the existence of "broader aucorigia phenotype" ("aucoridia"). I think that people with all forms of aucorigia should have help in their difficulties.

#3 2018-02-08 20:03:22

nca14 valkosipuli 1

Użytkownik

Punktów :   

I think that it is bad that in diagnostic manuals there are no one category for all childhood-onset conditions characterised by social inadequacy and peculiarity. Social NVLD, SCD, ASD should have one labelling. I suppose that NVLD or SCD can be worse than mild autism spectrum disorder.

I met descriptions of NVLD which present it as clearly aucorigic condition. This is one of examples (from http://www.aane.org/aspergers-disorder- … s-related/) with my emphasis:

A. NVLD can be conceptualized as an imbalance in thinking skills—intact linear, detail oriented, automatic processing with impaired appreciation of the big picture, gestalt or underlying theme.

B. It is not nearly as common as language-based learning disabilities, but this may be a phenomenon created by environmental demands (i.e. our societal demands for precision skills in reading assure that even the most subtle language-based LD cases are identified)

C. Typically social/psychiatric concerns are raised before academic problems are identified.

D. While the overlap is not complete, NVLD children may meet the criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD NOS), Aspergers Disorder, or Schizotypal Personality.

Neuropsychological Profile:
* Full range of IQ
* Visual spatial deficits are most pronounced: poor appreciation of gestalt, poor appreciation of body in space, sometimes left side inattention/neglect, may have highly developed but ritualized drawing skills that are extremely detail oriented.
* Rote linguistic skills are normal (i.e. repetition, naming, fluency, syntactic comprehension), but pragmatic use of language is impaired: weak grasp of inference, little content, disorganized narrative despite good vocabulary and grammar. Rote recall of a story may be good, but the main point missed. Rhythm, volume, and prosody of speech are often disturbed.
* Motor and sensory findings are common: usually poor fine and gross motor coordination, left side worse than right.
* Attention is usually reported to be impaired and testing supports this, but the affect is desultory as opposed to distractingly impulsive, as in ADHD. It is as if people with NVLD do not know what to attend to, but once focused, can sustain attention to detail. The distinction between figure and ground is disturbed, resulting in attention errors.

Social/emotional issues:
*Peer relations are typically the greatest area of impairment; may play with much older or younger children than with same age peers where they must manage give and take.
* They often lack basic social skills; may stand too close, stare inappropriately or not make eye contact, have marked lack of concern over appearance, be oblivious to other’s reactions, change topics idiosyncratically.
* Children with NVLD are seen as “odd” children who “just don’t get it” socially They may do better with adults, where they act dependent and immature, but may not be seen as “odd.”
* They may show poorly modulated affect, not matched to verbal content.
* Lack of empathy and social judgment may shield them from fully experiencing the hurt of peer rejection, while the same factors increase the likelihood of being rejected.
* History of unusual thinking can often be obtained: rituals, stereotypic behaviors, rigid routines, and magical/bizarre beliefs.

Socio-emotional issues mentioned here makes NVLD a pervasive developmental disorder in my opinion. Condition which may meet criteria of PDD-NOS, Asperger's, schizotypal personality is clearly aucorigic. This description of NVLD fits me more than characteristic of ASD.

What does unusual thinking make in the symptoms of a learning disability? I would redefine the term "pervasive developmental disorder" to ecompass so-called NVLD.

I think that SCD also should be in one category with developmental disorder with "NVLD" and ASD. The name "social communication disorder" suggest impairment in only one area, while in complex developmental disorders, aucorigias there tends to be some areas of which symptoms are present: social, emotional, executive functioning and activities, physcial and sensory, cognitive and motoric.

From https://www.farvardin-group.com/media/o … 26263.pdf:

NVLD is not a learning disability in the traditional sense, but rather a life learning disability. It should be considered in terms of a pervasive developmental disability (assumes a severe, chronic disability that is present before the individual reaches the age of 21), rather than a learning disability. It causes substantial functional limitation in areas such as self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, selfdirection and mobility, as well as the capacity for independent living and economic selfsufficiency. (Pamela B. Tanguay Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at School, 2002)

In the book "Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at School: Educating Students with NLD...", Pamela Tanguay, page 19, I found a sentence: "It is far more appriopiate to consider NLD in terms of pervasive developmental disability, rather than a learning disability.

#4 2018-02-08 20:05:22

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

Saying that someone has aucory is somewhat like saying that something is a flying animal or a swimming animal. There are different flying animals: birds, mammals (bats), insects (invertebrates). Swimming animals can be fish or mammals (such as whales). Aucory is not homogenous.

I think that current diagnostic criteria are not good. Someone can make ICD-10 or DSM-V criteria for Asperger's or pervasive developmental disorder but may do not make DSM-V criteria of autism spectrum disorder. Aucorigia is NOT necessarily something which make DSM-V criteria. I think that people with NVLD should have similar life helps that have people with clinical ASD.

And NVLD is for me a neurodevelopmental disorder from the same subgroup of neurodevelopmental disorders as ASD. And I would place NVLD in another group of developmental disorders than dyslexia or dyscalculia. NVLD is for me "closer" to ADHD than to dyslexia or pure dyscalculia.

I would not classify so-called nonverbal learning disorder (NLD, NVLD) and social communication disorder (SCD) as "specific developmental disorder", but as aucoric disorders in one subgroup of developmental disorders with full-blown autism spectrum disorder. I think that aucory is good, useful concept.

Diagnosis of SCD may often does not ecompass all symptoms which an individual has. People with SCD may have sensory processing disorders or ADHD, learning difficulties or speech delay. They may have one of four features of ASD associated with repetitive and restricted behaviors.

Symptoms of aucory may be divided into five subgroups:
- social-communicational (dyssemia - impairment of nonverbal communication, problems with social reciprocity (such as one-sided conversations), social ineptitude and failures in social contacts, lack of friends, problems with pragmatic use of language or delayed development of speech),
- emotional and thought content (atypical, obsessive, narrow interests, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, routines and rituals, magical or bizarre thinking, atypical emotional reactions (such as paragelia - inappropiate, uncontrolled laughter)),
- executive functioning (EF) and movemental (EF disorders, attention deficits, sluggish cognitive tempo (SCT); hyperactivity, hyperkinetic behavior, restlessness, stims, tics),
- somatic (poor strength and endurance, perinatal issues such as hypotrophy or pre-term birth, sensory processing disorders and sensory idiosyncracies or problems with dealing with unpleasant sensory stimuli)
- cognitive and motoric (dysharmonic IQ profile, dyslexia, dyscalculia; clumsiness (to a different degree)).

#5 2018-02-12 20:17:52

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

I would name NVLD "aucorigia subtype I" and ASD "aucorigia subtype II".
Isolated cases of dyscalculia, dyslexia, developmental coordination disorder (DCD), attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), stereotyped movement disorder (SMD), even starting in childhood, are not aucorigic, although these conditions may be ("secondary") symptoms of aucorigia.
ASD is always aucorigic condition, SCD also (although diagnosis of SCD does not contain emotional, executive and motional, somatic and cognitive symptoms). There may be only "aucoroidal" cases of NVLD without social ineptitude. Some descriptions of NVLD present it as doubtlessly aucorigic conditions. Broader autism phenotype may consist aucorigic and aucoroidal cases. Maybe most complicated cases of ADHD are aucorigic.

#6 2020-01-06 18:14:44

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

So maybe do not divide developmental disorders to "specific" and "pervasive"? Even if the division to "specific" and "pervasive" developmental disorders would be still present, "NVLD" or "SCD" still appear to be rather socio-emotional-behavioral conditions, not mere learning disabilities. Most of NVLDers should be labelled as having pervasive, not specific developmental disorder. The differences between mild clinical ASD and so-called NVLD are too small to consider one of the disorders pervasive and other as specific.

I think that counterpart of PDD should be about social, emotional, behavioral and thought-content disorders, it for me would ecompass not only ASD, "NVLD", "SCD", but also childhood-onset (developmental) schizo disorders (schizophrenic, schizoaffective, schizotypal, schizoid).

Speech delay, visual-spatial processing dificulties, sensory integration problems and motor clumsiness are "peripheral" symptoms of something which I called "aucorigia" (counterpart of PDD, from autocontrast and originality) and by itself are rather specific than pervasive developmental disorders - they do not make you "kooky", "odd", "weird", "nutty", "crazy", "wacko" etc. Being "bizarre", "oddball" is a hallmark of pervasive developmental disorders.

I was diagnosed with PDD (Asperger's) and schizophrenia spectrum condition (schizophrenia-type disorder, for a short time with paranoid schizophrenia (not with AS at the same time). I definitely have problems with social, emotional , behavioral, thought content areas whereas my problems with visual processing, clumsiness, sensory languages are just relatively mild if present at all. PDD and schizo are in my opinion the most "whacky" conditions in ICD-10 or DSM-IV.

But in USA or Canada they could decide that I have just "nonverbal learning disability". I think that the picture of NVLD is "contaminated" with many cases of individuals who have:
- "loner personalities",
- lowered social motivation,
- really poor eye contact,
- peculiar content of thoughts or strange emotional feelings,
- special interests,
- OCD symptoms,
- magical or bizarre beliefs,
- stereotyped behaviors,
especially if these "NVLD" individuals have good results in subscales of Wechsler tests like Coding, Block Design, Arithmetic while Similarities, Vocabulary and Information are about at the same level.

I am a good example of someone who could contaminate the picture of NVLD. I think that I do not have classic NVLD, but also I do not have typical ASD, definately. I concluded that my PDD is different from NVLD and bookish ASD at the same time. I suppose that it may belong to schizophrenic spectrum instead to one spectrum with the condition of autistic children described by Leo Kanner. But it certainly may be named as a sort of autism, I could name it "pathological nonconformism syndrome", "social motivation (or reciprocity) disorder", "aucophrenia" (from "aucorigia" and "schizophrenia"), a variant of "schizoautistic illness".

I think that someone with NVLD will have:
- intact social drive, good social motivation, need of being loved and forming close friendships other than sexual or romantic,
- significantly better eye contact in comparison to individuals like I, difficulties in social communication should be only because of impaired visual-spatial processing,
- marked difficulties in learning handwriting or riding two-wheel bike,
- no special, peculiarly atypical, impractically narrow, "obsessive" interests,
- lack of any stereotyped behaviors, even during anxiety or excitation (large happiness),
- poor results in Block Design, Coding, often also Arithmetic, especially in comparison to VCI subscales like Vocabulary, Similarities, Information,
- marked problems with searching simple embedded figures, reading maps, charts, graphs, clocks, (almost) lack of spatial orientation and sense of direction,
- disability in recognising items with closed eyes, by touching them.

#7 2020-01-06 19:48:32

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

I'm pretty sure that term autism will not be part of diagnostics in the future or it does not carry the same meaning.

It is kind of sad that people want give label that hardly really exists. Personality disorders for example have moved towards picking out traits in manifestation and scoring severity based on that which is much more sensible.

For example  if a diagnostician labels problem areas it will be much more to assign help than put a person in "autism" treatment. As for present scales of severity: it does handle a condition as a monolith instead of fracturing it to causes and manifestations.

I think that it could be good if the word "autism" would not be present in diagnostic manuals because I think that difference between autistic and "non-autistic" disorder is not so large.

I think that symptoms characteristic for Kanner's autism in fact are NOT representative for ALL sorts of autism, these symptoms are:
- lack of intuitive theory of mind, no imaginative play, pronoun reversal, deficient self-awareness
- serious problems with central coherence, literal and concrete thinking
- delayed or absent speech, problems with verbal IQ (especially Comprehension), VIQ often lower than PIQ,
- need of sameness and predictability, (compulsive) adherence to non-functional rituals and routines,
- non-verbal thinking (especially visual),
- sensory processing disorder, sensory overloads or indiosyncratic processing,
- prosopagnosia, difficulties with recognising people (often),
- gastrointestinal problems, recommendation of diet without gluten, sugar, caseine.

These symptoms are common among individuals who have typical ASD, may be quite atypical in NVLD (usually absent?). I have not any of them but was diagnosed with Asperger's. I think that many individuals with ASD level 1 (or maybe even subclinical autism spectrum (level 0)) have them. In addition, these traits may be often genetically based. I think that they demarcate between "classic" autism and its spectrum and similar disorders (which are be unjustly named as nonverbal learning disorder, social communication disorder, social learning disability, personality disorders with onset in childhood - they are pervasive developmental disorders too!) which have many overlapping features but are in my opinion totally unrelated to "classic" autism.

I think that "socio-emotional developmental disorders" should be in one subcategory of (neuro)developmental disorders, it would not ecompass dyslexia and even ADHD, but in it "classic" autism, "nonverbal learning disorder" or "social learning disability" have to be placed.

Stopka forum

RSS