NLD, NVLD

Opis forum

#1 2015-10-08 10:28:58

notkanneric

Gość

What is autism?

Autism should be psychological or psychiatric term, not neurological. So called "social NVLD" or "social learning disability" could appear to be "truer" autism than so-called "autism spectrum disorders". Autism is "selfism" (Greek "autos" means "self").

So autism is the condition asociated with "self-absorbtion", "living in own world" (or better "living in our world in own way"), one-sided interactions, significcant social ineptitude and "general" peculiarity of thinking content and emotionality.

"Autism spectrum disorders" should have not to be "truer" autism.

#2 2015-10-19 22:10:21

noclaut2

Użytkownik

Punktów :   

Re: What is autism?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/videos/n … sm/vCYhbC/

Join the discussion with Steven Sussman, Ph.D, child & adolescent psychologist, about need to redefine certain groups within the autistic spectrum as having social learning disability rather than auti

I would think something opposite! So called "social learning disability" appears to be "truer" autism (psychological), maybe at least sometimes on schizospectrum. Something commonly called "autism" should have new name in my opinion which would be not associate with "autism" and its cognates.

I would rather say "Kannerotypy is not autism" (or at least not only or the most representative sort of autism).

Symptoms of "kannerotypy" ("kannerotypy described below and "social-emotional learning disability" gives "classical" autism spectrum disorder):

- speech delay (or even lack of it),
- language impairments,
- problems with communicative use of language
- lack of central coherence,
- difficulties with looking to objects or ideas as a whole, seeing everything "in parts"
- no "internal voice" in head (lack of verbal and (or) conceptual thinking),
- clear dominance of visual thinking,
- literal, concrete, rigid thinking,
- lack of abstract thinking, difficulties with understanding abstract concepts,
- having "narrow" mind,
- over-attention to detail, missing the "big picture"
- echolalia,
- pronoun reversal, lack of using the pronoun "I"
- difficulty with differentiating self and others,
- serious or even profound problems with sensory integration,
- being overwhelmed by sensory stimuli easily,
- "meltdowns", attacks of anger or fear
- "splinter skills", "islets" of abilities
- necessity of sameness,
- compulsive adherence to nonfunctional routines and rituals,
- stereotypical movements like hand flapping, body rocking, head-banging, tiptoe walking,
- preoccupation with the parts of objects;
- gluten and casein intolerance

"Social-emotional learning disability" (something like "socio-emotional dyscalulia" or even "socio-emotional acalculia") - deficit of theory of mind is a sort of cognitive deficit. Theory of mind deficit is not autism for me or at least is not a necessary sign of autism.

SELD ("social-emotional learning disability") is a cognitive deficit or group of cognitive deficit associated with lack of theory of mind or serious deficits in it. "Land of emotions" is an "unknown land" for people with SELD. It occurs for example in "classic" forms of Asperger's syndrome.

Symptoms of SELD may include:
- lack of empathy (especially cognitive one) and (or) compassion,
- lack of understanding of lying and intentions,
- inability to mentalise emotional states of others,
- lack of understanding why something is offensive for other person,
- "painful" honesty,
- being very naive and gullible,
- lack of pragmatic skills,
- literal interpretations,
- policing behaviors (applying the same rules to everybody regardless of the circumstances),
- thinking that other people thinking just as I (and have, for example, the same interests as I),
- lack of interest in rivalisation and (or) understanding of it (why someone is happy when is a winner?),
- poor understanding of social situations,
- poor understanding of motives of other people,
- alexithymia,
- lack of common sense in social situations (for example taking toys of other child because a child with SELD thought that other child will like "me" because of it) - idiosyncratic and "illogical" behaviors in social interactions,
- "intense" imitative behaviors (associated with cognitive deficits in socio-emotional area?),
- lack of knowledge about emotion which should be felt in particular situation (such as after death of an uncle),
- difficulty with describing emotional states of other (for example characters in the novel) and creating stories containing descriptions of emotional states,
- problems with imaginative play and understanding of it,
- problems with recognising people and faces and memorising facts about people).

Ostatnio edytowany przez noclaut2 (2015-10-19 22:18:39)

#3 2016-05-06 14:49:52

noclaut2 2

Gość

Autism may be "having pathologically egoistic and egocentric, atypical nature", "sort of self-absorbtion", a type of "mental derailment", atypical attitude to reality, unadjustment to reality.

#4 2016-05-14 17:10:57

noclaut 2 2

Gość

I think that the term "autism" could be deleted at all from classification of mental disorders. For me this term may look inappriopiate because of the risk of marginalising of conditions which are similar to conditions named as "autism" or "autistic", like "social NVLD", "social learning disability", "social communication disorder".

#5 2020-01-08 21:52:44

valkosipuli nca14

Gość

JD12345 napisał:

Someone who is socially awkward isn't necessarily on the spectrum, just as someone who has a bout of sneezing doesn't necessarily have the flu.

DemophobicKlingon napisał:

(...) Being a little socially awkward doesn't automatically give someone grounds to be ASD, it's a different way of processing the world, anxiety, and affects the way one communicates.

I would somewhat disagree with these opinions. I consider many people who do not meet ASD criteria and (or) do not have symptoms typical for autistic children described by Leo Kanner as fully autistic - for example many diagnosed with so-called "nonverbal learning disorder" or people diagnosed with "social communication disorder" from DSM-V are for me autistics too. I think that it is somewhat unfair to exclude socially awkward, inept, inadeqate people who are "odd", present peculiarity and have "quirks" from being in the same group with people with most typical form of autism (if they have these symptoms since childhood). I definitely do not restrict "autisticness" to meeting DSM-V criteria of ASD! It is somewhat ruthless to many people, also those who are similar to me. I think that many (if not most) people with NVLD are (or at least can/may be) more harmed by society and diagnosticians than people with ASD.

I would say that most "pure" sort of autism is associated with certain traits of temperament, character and personality. For me "truest" developmental autistics are those who have since childhood: lowered social needs and motivation, poor social skills, bizarre thoughts, emotions, behaviors, interests. I think that such a person may have really large amount of NT traits but still be strikingly autistic and "weird" life-disabled "kook" and "oddball".

Generally, autism is a way of relating to reality in my opinion. It is more similar to schizoid disorder (Asperger's might be called "schizoid disorder of childhood" despite it is NOT a personality disorder, it is more than it, a pervasive developmental disability with early onset which can make you unable to deal with life even with above-average IQ despite lack of somatic illness) than to cognitive deficits (like lack of (especially intuitive) theory of mind) or rather neurological disabilities or health problems (like sensory hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity). "Normal" people crave of being loved, have significant need of being accepted and have close friends, do not live in own "social bubble", are not "me**ed up kooks" who don't care about ellegant appearance and washing whole body or changing clothes, do not look like someone with significant intellect development disorder due to lack of eye contact or other serious impairments of nonverbal communication. It could be (although wrongly!) named as a sort of "psychopathy" (Asperger's named condition which his patients with characteristic symptoms had as "autistic psychopathy"), because it is a sort of serious disturbance of the instinct (which could be named or described as narrowing relations to the world outside), but I can think that it would be better considered as "pathological nonconformism (syndrome)").

I do not want to speak against people with ASD and Asperger's, but "genuine autism" may appear quite similar to antisocial personality disorder or psychopathy - I suppose that people with "genuine autism" can be extremely egocentric and many bad traits like cowardice (associated with fear, anxiety) or laziness (which can be caused by lack of energy, motivation deficits, uninterest in normal life, egoism and selfishness) really often. They are rather asocial in some way than antisocial (although their anger may be more severe or dangerous to others than angry outbursts of "typical" person). "Genuine autism" is not ASPD, it is rather severely disabling in some areas of life (like job or social relationships), it definitely should be diagnosed in childhood, before puberty (symptoms may be quite apparent about 6th year of life), it is not a personality disorder which is rather diagnosed in adults!

Stopka forum

RSS